WorshipCast Liscense # 6400
In Martin Luther's day, he transformed pub tunes into hymns about God that people could sing together. In that same spirit, these pop songs are used as a tool to explore the Gospel in a way that makes it come alive. Or as Mark would say, so that those with ears can ear and those with eyes can see.
We live in a very secular world where faithful people have given up on churches because they think they have nothing relevant to say about their lives or that churches are behind the time. Some where through the decades the pub tunes started to sound a bit outdated.
So, I hope these songs make you think and provoke you towards faithful living. If nothing else, it will help us to remember that God has a sense of humor. Some of the stories appear in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, others come out of my creative imagination as I ponder the stories between the lines.
- Mary is told by an angel that she will become pregnant with the Son of God. (The Rose: The Gospel of Bette Middler)
- Joesph responds to Mary's pregnancy. (Baby, Baby, Baby: The Gospel of Justin Bieber)
- Jesus picks up disciples at the sea. (Rolling on the River: The Gospel of Tina Turner)
- Jesus' family thinks he's a demon or mentally ill, so he rejects them and creates his own family. (Orbiting: The Gospel of the Weepies)
- Jesus tells the woman at the well he knows her heart.. (1234: The Gospel of Feist)
- Healings and miracles. (Be Ok: The Gospel of Ingrid Michaelson)
- It takes two tries to heal the blind man. (Won't You Please Let Me Back Into Your Heart: The Gospel of the Jackson 5)
- The rebel who encourages the faithful to break sacred rules. (Footloose: The Gospel of Kenny Loggins)
- Lenten Wilderness Walking (Awake My Soul: The Gospel of Mumford & Sons)
- The Last Supper and Gethsemene. (Save Tonight: The Gospel of Eagle Eye Cherry)
- Judus Storms Out of the Last Supper and Sells Out Jesus. (Rolling in the Deep: The Gospel of Adele)
- Mary holds her dead son. (Hit Me Baby One More Time: The Gospel of Britney Spears) [not in Matthew, Mark, Luke or John]
- Peter wonders what he could have done to prevent Jesus' death. (How to Save a Life: The Gospel of the Fray)
- In his anger about being left behind, Thomas' tells the resurrected Jesus to go away. (I Will Survive: The Gospel of Gloria Gaynor)